These crunchy little numbers have a punchy garlic hit, making them the perfect complement for soups and salads. Or just nibbling as you go along.
Garlicky Croutons from Cook 1.0 – A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen by Heidi Swanson
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
A couple of pinches of both salt and pepper
About 6 cups of good quality day-old bread
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 4.
2. In a large bowl, combine the oil, garlic, and salt and pepper.
3. Cut the bread into cubes or rounds, or just rip up into small chunks. Put the bread pieces into the bowl with the oil and toss around for a minute, until the bread has a light coating of oil.
4. Place the bread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake on the middle rack of the oven, flipping the croutons once or twice to make sure all sides are cooked, until the croutons are golden and crisp – about 10 minutes.
5. Let the croutons cool and then season again with salt and pepper.