All this talk about breakfast has made me a little hungry…
There are probably a million and one things I could have slathered these puffy little pancakes with. But today I was just in the mood for maple syrup:
The only burning question is: Who gets the sacrificial pancake?*
American Breakfast Pancakes from How to be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson
Makes around 12 pancakes
225g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
30g butter, melted and cooled
butter for frying
Two way of doing this:
1. Put all the ingredients in a blender and blitz.
2. Put the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in a bowl. Then beat in the eggs, milk and melted butter.
3. Transfer the mix to a jug. Or I used a quarter cup to scoop up the batter and make sure I got similarly-sized pancakes
4. Melt some butter in a frying pan and get cooking! Turn over the pancakes when the upper side is blistering and bubbling. The second side may only need a minute to brown.
* In our house, that would be Mr B. He’s noble like that.